PAIVA, V.L.M.O. Ten ways to improve language learning in non-English speaking countries. Newsletter da APLIEMGE. Vol. 5, n.1, March 2000, p.5
TEN WAYS TO IMPROVE LANGUAGE LEARNING IN NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES
Vera Lúcia Menezes de Oliveira e Paiva (UFMG)
The easiest way to learn a language is by practicing it and that is not a simple matter in non-English speaking countries where students have few opportunities to be in contact with native speakers. Nevertheless, one can improve one’s English by looking for opportunities to be in contact with the language. Below you will find ten suggestions. Discuss them with your students.
- Listen to music, pay attention to lyrics and sing.
- Read magazines and newspapers.
- Watch movies.
- Listen to recorded material.
- Write a journal in English.
- Organize a vocabulary book.
- Interact with a pen pal or key pal.
- Look for EFL resources on the Internet.
- Join an electronic discussion list in English.
- Practice English in chat rooms on the Internet.